Sunday, December 16, 2007

The Cheaters Cottillion

Did George Mitchell's somber speech remind anyone of the press conferences that used to be held in the aftermath of the Watergate breakin?
Well okay, equating Bud Selig with Richard Nixon is perhaps taking it too far, but I may have planted a bug in people's minds that the baseball commissioner could be the ultimate villian here. Letting juicers run amok in his game over the 15-20 years, while not stepping in to do something about it until quite recently. This thought has hardly original, but I let sportswriters around the country; radio show hosts and CNBC (for crying out loud..Citigroup appointed a new leader, the super-SIV is dead, the middle east in chaos and all these anchors wanted to talk about this week was the Mitchell Report..conspiracy indeed), have their fair shot and place lots of blame on the commish, the owners and the culture they "oversaw". Though, again, I think Bud didn't run in the same circles as say BALCO kingpin Victor Conte or the Mets sinister assistant trainer.
All I can do is offer Bud two paths to redemption and these two roads something that would not happen in today's day-and-age
1) RESIGN IMMEDIATELY: Admit you were the commissioner that was the overseer of this culture and ask for immediate government action to intervene and finally appoint an F-N neutral commissioner who was NEVER an owner and NEVER a player. Just somebody who can arbritate, mediate and may have been a fan of the game at one point or another. In the past, I've admired NBC sportscaster Bob Costas and columnist George Will for their love of the game and wondered if they might make good candidates. I stand by that assertion (though Costas still owes me a hockey interview from three years ago).
2) BAN THE ACTIVE PLAYERS ON THE LIST FROM THE GAME-Why did I bold that suggestion. Because you are trying to send an active message. Would the player's union, American Civil Liberties Union, the government..etc. etc. allow it. Probably not. Nor is there conclusive proof that everyone on that list did it.
But that's why you take active measures to beef up testing procedures. That's why upon immediatey testing positive, that instead of 50-games, its more a one-and-done scenario. Baseball my hurt in the short-term, but the game will have taken steps to correct itself, because here is the thoughts I had this week in the wake of the report.

...I'm a diehard Yankees fan and this morning, I'm sad to say that I don't very much like Andy Petite anymore. I'm glad he admitted taking HGH and I think it time, he called it a career. I once watched Mark McGwire as a wide-eyed 23-year old make history in 1998 by breaking Roger Maris record and now I'm thinking that I wasted time on that as well. Call me a cynic, but baseball indeed will be hard for me to watch next year . ! Knowing that I might wonder and guess who's next. Who did what.
...I sure enjoyed watching the NJ Devils play yesterday in the brand new Prudential Center in Newark. Gorgeous arena. Two streets from the Newark Path Station. Might enjoy more time there then in Yankee Stadium this spring.

No comments: